We now have a ‘business development’ culture throughout the organisation – Downers Design
Downers Design, a highly regarded soft furnishing specialist providing bespoke curtain and blind window treatments to leading interior & superyacht designers and architects, boutique hotels and high profile clients.
They came to us with their challenges due to rapid growth and too much work but not having the knowledge, time or infrastructure to scale the business to the next level.
The main requirement was to review the business and set up a long term plan of structure and restructure to realise the business’s potential and ultimately create the opportunity for a smooth and profitable exit at some point in the future.
Crucially the day job had to continue and the client experience had to be protected from sea changes in the organisation.
- People Puzzles’ Tara Lawson approached this by conducting a full team review, by interviewing staff at all levels and quickly identified fault lines in the business and top performers who were crucial for continuity and existing business success.
- From these interviews she summarised recommendations on:
- Restructure and recruitment proposals
- Priority focuses to stabilise the star performers
- Further considerations that need to be changed and implemented over a longer term period
- Other quick wins that the business would benefit from.
- That was twelve months ago. After the recommendations were put forward Downers made an immediate restructure in their manufacturing division that has smoothed the operation, improved culture and increased productivity.
- The Finance department has been restructured to create continuity across a working week as well as improving business reporting.
- An Operations Director has been introduced to alleviate the Founder from distracting office and project management duties, which in turn will enable the owner to focus on business development and increased ‘figurehead’ responsibilities.
- Revenue targets have increased by 25%.
- A reward and incentive program is now being worked on, that will be designed to encourage and reward behaviours that foster a ‘business development’ culture throughout the organisation.
Tara Lawson, HR Director.