Keeping talent is business critical
Employees with a good fit, high engagement and 10+ years at an organisation perform 18% higher than the average employee and 35% higher than a worker who lacks all three elements.
All of those three elements can be tricky to find! Finding a good fit is the first challenge. The second is keeping them motivated and engaged, and the third is keeping them for a long time.
Employees don’t leave a job, they leave a manager, and your managers can have a huge impact on the most common reasons why people choose to leave:
- Career advancement or promotional opportunities: 32%
- Pay/Benefits: 22%
- Lack of fit to the job: 20%
- Management or the general work environment: 17%
- Flexibility/scheduling: 8%
- Job security: 2%
Improving Employee Retention
People Puzzles are experts in improving talent retention. It isn’t an overnight fix but requires a retention strategy and careful planning.
Our interventions include:
- Ensure people with the right skills are in the right roles
- Train and develop managers to improve their skills and approach
- Improve work/life balance including methods such as flexible working times or remote working where possible
- Improve communication and engagement across the business
- Define and share a culture that suits the business
- Upskill your staff to provide career advancement opportunities
Healthy businesses don’t just focus on who is working today and what skills they have now; they keep an eye on the future, and where the business is going. That means a focus on both managing performance and looking ahead at succession planning.
Our succession planning process
Our UK-based People Directors can help you with succession planning in the workplace. We will work with you to:
- Understand and articulate what makes a great supervisor, team leader or manager
- Evaluate staff – where they are today and where they could get to
- Give opportunities to people to test and develop their leadership and management skills
- Provide training and development to your star performers
- Move people up in the organisation – it’s crucial to have strong deputies in place as you expand or in case people leave
Benefits of succession planning for your business
Succession planning and talent management are crucial for:
- Business contingency and continuity
- Giving your staff career development opportunities
- Making the most of your brightest and best team members
- Building loyalty and long-term knowledge in the team
- Steering a steady ship with low staff turnover
- Improving employee retention
Contact us to see how we can help to improve talent in your business, ensuring your people are perfectly placed, and that they stick around.